Welcome to another episode of Ikigai with Jennifer Shinkai! This week I had the pleasure of talking with Cory McGowan, half adventurer, half transformational coach, half bear dancer. Cory currently lives in scenic Minakami, and is actively involved in the rural revitalisation movement in the area. Listen to this episode to hear a fantastic conversation in which Cory talks about his love of adventure, how that relates to his ikigai, as well as how he facilitates other’s ikigai through his coaching work.
If you enjoyed this episode and it inspired you in some way, we’d love to hear about it and know your biggest takeaway.
In this episode you’ll hear:
- What it was like for Cory and his family to move from Tokyo to the countryside of Minakami
- How Cory conceptualises his role in the Minakami community
- Cory’s work as a ‘relocation concierge’ in Minakami, and in the rural revitalisation movement in Japan
- How building the life he has now involved a breakdown of sorts, and how that enabled transformation and breakthrough
- Cory’s coaching work with men in Japan, and the discussions around ikigai and purpose happening in those spaces
- What dogs can teach us about ikigai!
Prefer to Listen?
Please check out the other episodes, like and subscribe!
Half adventurer, half transformational coach, half bear dancer, Cory is based in the beautiful mountains of Minakami, Japan with his wife Miho and two boys, Taiyo and Sky. A Japan resident since before the turn of the millennia, his whole career has been based in Japan, and more than half of his life has been spent outside his native home of America.
After decades in education and people development, and working at all levels of management, the move into ontological coaching has been a coming home for him in the same way moving from Tokyo to the mountains was. He sees partnering with leaders and teams in such a time of civilizational transformation as an incredible privilege, and also has a personal mission to be a leader in the rural revitalization movement in Japan.
Connect with Cory:
Connect with Jennifer:
Linked In: https://www.linkedin.com/in/jennifershinkai/
Amazon Author Page: https://www.amazon.com/~/e/B092VVSJJ9